Join us for a taster of the very finest Jewish writing from around the globe as we celebrate the books which have been shortlisted for this year’s Wingate Literary Prize.
The BBC’s Emily Kasriel will be in conversation with some of the shortlisted authors and judges, with the evening culminating in the exciting announcement of the 2021 Wingate Literary Prize winner.
We hope you’ll leave with a list of books for your lockdown reading list. Everyone who registers for the event will be entered into a draw to win a copy of each of the shortlisted books. The 2021 short-listed books are:
House of Glass by Hadley Freeman [HarperCollins]
On Division by Goldie Goldbloom [Farrah Straus & Giroux]
The Slaughterman's Daughter by Yaniv Iczkovits. Translation by Orr Scharf [Maclehose]
Nobody Will Tell You This But Me by Bess Kalb
Little Brown Apeirogon by Colum McCann [Bloomsbury]
When Time Stopped by Ariana Neumann [Simon & Schuster]
We are the Weather by Jonathan Safran Foer [Hamish Hamilton/ Penguin]
This year’s judging panel is comprised of former Senior Rabbi to Reform Judaism Rabbi Laura Janner-Klausner; broadcaster, writer and film-maker Bidisha; author and Economist magazine culture editor A.D. Miller; and award-winning biographer and historian Anne Sebba.
JW3 Prize Draw Terms and Conditions
1. No purchase necessary to enter the prize draw; but you must have booked a (free) ticket to the Wingate Literary Prize event on 7th March
2. This prize draw is open to UK residents aged 18 years or over, with the exception of employees of JW3, their families, agents and anyone else connected with this promotion.
3. Entries must be received by 7pm on Sunday 7th March 2021. JW3 accepts no responsibility for any entries that are incomplete, illegible, corrupted or fail to reach JW3 by the relevant closing date for any reason. Proof of posting or sending is not proof of receipt. Automatically generated entries and entries via agents or third parties are invalid and shall not be considered. Entries become the property of JW3 and are not returned.
4. Only one entry per person. No entrant may win more than one prize.
5. To enter, you must have booked a (free) ticket to the Wingate Literary Prize event on 7th March.
6. All correctly completed entries will be entered into a prize draw which will take place during the live Wingate event on the 7th March, 2021. The first entry drawn will be the winner.
7. The prize for the winners is a complete set of the shortlisted books of the Wingate Literary Prize, 2021.
8. Prizes are subject to availability. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, JW3 reserves the right (a) to substitute alternative prizes of equivalent or greater value and (b) in exceptional circumstances to amend or foreclose the promotion without notice. No correspondence will be entered into.
9. The winners will be notified during the live event on 7th March, 2021. The winners must claim their prize within 30 working days of JW3 sending notification. If the prize is unclaimed after this time, it will lapse and JW3 reserves the right to offer the unclaimed prize to a substitute winner selected in accordance with these rules.
10. To obtain details of the winner please email firstname.lastname@example.org stating the name of the prize draw in the subject heading within 4 weeks after the closing date.
11. JW3 will use any data submitted by entrants only for the purposes of running the prize draw, unless otherwise stated in the entry details. By entering this prize draw, all entrants consent to the use of their personal data by JW3 for the purposes of the administration of this prize draw and any other purposes to which the entrant has consented.
12. JW3 may disqualify any entrant whose entry does not comply with these terms and conditions (in JW3’s sole opinion) or who, in JW3’s sole determination, has acted in a manner that is fraudulent, dishonest or unjust to other entrants including, without limitation, tampering with the operation of the prize draw, manipulating or rigging votes, hacking, deceiving, cheating or by harassing or threatening other entrants or a representative of JW3.
14. By entering the prize draw each entrant agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions.
15. The Promoter is JW3, 341-351 Finchley Road, NW3 6ET
16. These terms and conditions are governed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.