Join us for a fundraising, awareness-raising, spirit-raising day of poetry in solidarity with the people of Ukraine at this time of great peril and suffering.
Poets for Ukraine, in partnership with The Society of Authors, The Poetry Society, The Poetry School and JW3 invite you to a hybrid Poem-a-Thon where sponsored poets will read in relay for up to five minutes, some in person and some virtually, from 11am to 5pm. Once in the building, stay as long as you like, pop in and out, chat with the poets.
Special guests include:
- Juliet Stevenson, Jessie Ware, Meera Syal, Sophie Ward and Nick Hytner
- Naomi Shihab Nye from the USA
- Headliner poets from the UK, including former Scottish Makar Jackie Kay
- Former National Poet of Wales Gillian Clarke
- Imtiaz Dharker who holds the Queen’s Gold Medal for Poetry
- This year’s Costa Book Prize winner Hannah Lowe
- Forward Prize winner Fiona Benson
- Former Poet Laureates Carol Ann Duffy and Andrew Motion
- Poet in Residence for Radio 4 & 4 Extra Daljit Nagra
- Veteran actors Harriet Walter and Bill Paterson
They will share the spotlight with Ukrainian poets appearing on video both from the frontline and the diaspora.
All proceeds to our chosen charities, Goods for Good and Hope and Aid Direct.
...a poet is like a barometer for the psyche of a nation. It cannot change the weather. But it shows us what the weather is like