A window into Israeli society through the most significant trials in the history of the country.
Israeli courts have been admired and condemned throughout the world for the decisions made within them over the past 72 years. This course will look at five prominent cases as a window into the tensions that lie at the heart of Israeli society to this day.
Ittay Flescher has been working in formal and informal Jewish education for the past 15 years. From Australia he made Aliyah in 2018 and alongside teaching has been the Jerusalem Correspondent for Plus61J Media. As an insightful educator with a strong sense of justice, Ittay hopes this course will comfort the troubled and trouble the comfortable.
Topics in this course will cover:
1. Eichmann in Jerusalem: Explore the trial that introduced the Holocaust into the historical, educational, legal and cultural discourse, not merely in Israel and the Jewish world, but on the consciousness of all peoples of the world.
2. The trial of Yiska Shadmi following the Kfar Kassim Massacre: Are Israeli security personnel required to disobey illegal orders?
3. The Hasidic sex abuse trial that became Israel's longest ever extradition case: How three sisters from Australia took on on the Israeli Health Minister in their campaign to bring back Malka Leifer.
4. Who killed Mohammed Abu Khdier? Following the kidnapping and murder of three Israeli yeshiva students in the summer of 2014, a 15-year-old Palestinian boy is killed in revenge. Ittay explore the legacy of this murder by looking at the trial of the accused and the popular depiction of this tragedy in the HBO series “Our Boys.”
5. The Trial of Benjamin Netanyahu: The case of the first sitting Israeli Prime Minister to go on trial for bribery, fraud and breach of trust.
Through our new online platform, JW3 is delighted to be able to bring you the very best international thinkers and teachers from around the world – Ittay will be joining us from Israel.