Mind Sports Olympiad: Chess Variants
Classes & Courses
the capturing piece
- the captured piece
- all pieces, except pawns, on surrounding orthogonal squares (ie. a king's move away)
- A player wins by removing the opponents' king (by direct capture or explosion)
- Moves which cause a player's own king to explode are not allowed
- Coin Chess Background: Unknown inventor Rules:
- Normal rules apply except for the introduction of a coin (or counter)
- Black starts by placing the coin on any unoccupied square. Play then continues with players alternating turns as in normal chess.
- On their turn, a player makes any legal move but may not move onto the square where the coin has been placed. The player may move over (but not onto), the coin square.
- The player ends their turn by leaving the coin where it stands or moving the coin to a different unoccupied square.
- The coin can never be placed on an occupied square, and therefore cannot be used to protect a piece from capture
- A player wins by checkmating the opponent. Note that the coin can be used to remove escape squares from the king.